Thursday, 12 February 2015

Flying by myself for the first time

In February last year I took my first international flight on my own. I can't say I was particularly scared as I was more excited to visit my boyfriend in Canada than to let my nerves over come me.



I arrived at the airport 4 hours before my flight was to depart. I know for international flights you are supposed to be there 2 hours before, but I went early as there were tube strikes happening. I didn't want to be delayed and miss the plane. 


There wasn't many people in the terminal when I got there as it was around 9am and I guess people don't arrive as early as I did.  



I always buy myself something to eat in the airport before boarding the plane as there is nothing worse than getting on the plane hungry and having to wait an hour or two before you are fed. I got myself a Boots meal deal for my breakfast. 


Finally after 4 hours of waiting in the airport I got to see the plane! 



I eventually got on the plane and into my seat. I was so pleased it was by the window as I love to look out and see what's below. Finally, in the queue to take off!



I know some people are scared of flying on their own and it didn't really bother me. The waiting around for hours to board the plane was what bothered me the most as my plane was delayed by about an hour. All I wanted to do was get to Canada as fast as I could so I could see what it was like, having never visited before. It wasn't like I was taking the plane on my own, there were plenty of other people on the plane so if I needed help or anything there was always someone around.


The plane was half empty, well who was going to go to Montreal when it was the coldest part of their winter - me that's who! Anyway, I had two seats to myself and made a little bed out of my coat and aeroplane blankets. I didn't watch any movies, I had downloaded some programs on my iPad to watch, but I wrote a few blog posts on the plane before I went to sleep. I only woke up to get food and to fill out the landing card. 


It was my first time flying Air Canada. Their seats were comfortable and spacious. The only thing I didn't like was the television remote was fixed into the top of the arm rest so any time I leaned on it it would either turn the screen on, when I had turned it off, or change the map I had on to see the progress of the flight. I love to watch the map and take pictures of it.  


Once the plane had landed I followed the crowd to customs and got through there within about 30 minutes, any other time I have had to wait an hour or more - I guess it was beginners luck. I was asked a few questions and provided any details the customs officers asked for and I was allowed into Canada!

I wrote a post on my trip to Canada in February here if you want to read it. 

Have you ever been to Canada? If so which part did you go? If you've never been where would you visit?


TwitterBloglovinInstagramGoogle+PintrestYouTube

6 comments:

  1. Flying on my own seems quite a scary thing to me, I would like to do it one day though!

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it. It's the most fun. Not having to wait for anyone else, but it can be quite lonely. I focus on what I will see when I am at the other end. Plus I like to sleep for most of the flight.

      X

      Delete
  2. I tend to always fly on my own! Have done round the world a few times, flitting between NZ and Aus. I quite like it, just do what you want to do and get there! the most annoying thing for me is always having to take your bag everywhere with you! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! Yes carrying my bags on my own is a pain in the bum but once I've checked in one of my suitcases I wheel my hand luggage around the airport with me and onto the plane. I see flying on my own as much fun, but everyone who sits by me always seems to want to move
      X

      Delete
  3. I've never flown by myself. I'd be terrified... and just lost.

    Arianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be brave you'll enjoy it and who cares if you get lost you'll see something you wouldn't have seen had you have not got lost x

      Delete